Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Week 1: February-In-The-Raw

How did your first week of February-In-The-Raw-Go? Mine, well let's just say, bring on the emotional detox...

I stated here, when one does a raw diet, some experience a sort of detox due to the cells releasing all the harmful substances, both physically and emotionally, that they had been housing for how ever many years. This detox can cause some intense physical and emotional effects to occur. To say that this release of toxins was a gentle process for me would be a complete understatement. Bring on the tears (poor Z man, he's so patient with me, Thanks Brat).

I have been an emotional roller-coaster. One second I'm riding high and on the up and up, and then next I'm am soaring at a rapid speed in a downward spiral. And I know that my emotions may be a little irrational to put it lightly, but I can't help but feel these intense sensations no matter how ridiculous they may be. It took me a few tears to figure out why I was having such highs and lows, but once it dawned on me I was releasing years of unhealthy toxins it made me feel less of a wack-a-doo. Now I am just trying to ride the coaster and let the tears fall - I've cried more in this week than I have in the 5 years the Train and I have been together. I'm actually talking about my emotions and getting them out. I think of the tears as washing the toxins out of my body. Everyday, I'm getting farther and better than I ever have before.

Have you been experiencing any emotional tidal waves? What do you do when you're emotional to feel better? Cry? Shop? Exercise?


Now, let's talk Almond Milk.

Isn't it funny that we complain about $2.99 a gallon for gas, but some of us are willing to pay some where up to $3.50 for a 16 oz carton of almond milk? I'm not a math wizard by any means so I'm not even going to attempt to do the breakdown on this equation. But I do know what thing, the equation looks a little like this: Crazy-outrageous-overly-priced + sweet-healthy-nutty-deliciousness = spending far to much on almond milk in the stores. The solution? Make it yourself!


Almond milk is so easy to make, you're going to be kicking yourself for spending so much for so long (I know I was). I said yesterday that the overall process is slightly time consuming, but this is only due to the fact that you need to soak your almonds overnight. Here's the breakdown.

Homemade Almond Milk:

1 cup almonds - soaked overnight
4 cups water
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
2 tbsp agave or 1 packet stevia - you can use honey but know that it's not truly vegan at this point (optional)

Start off by placing your almonds in a large bowl and covering completely with water. Place in the fridge overnight (8 - 12 hours).

Drain the soaking water, the almonds should have almost doubled in size. Place the soaked almonds in a blender along with the 4 cups of water on high speed for 5 minutes.

Place a couple of paper towels or a cheesecloth over a colander and place the colander over a large bowl. There should be enough room between the bowl and colander to allow the milk to drain. Strain the almond milk. After it has strained, wring out the paper towels or cheesecloth to assure you have gotten all the milk.


Place the milk back into the blender along with the vanilla and agave. Blend for another 5 minutes. Place the milk in an old milk carton (cleaned and rinsed). The milk will keep for a week. A week of inexpensive, fresh, luscious straight from the source almond milk. And keep the leftover almond pulp because I have some really great things we can do it!


It really is that simple.

Tomorrow I'll show you what you can do with that leftover pulp. I'm thinking raw nachos or maybe homemade chelseabars, my take on a larabar. We'll just have to see.




  




No comments:

Post a Comment