Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Raw Apple Chai Spice Bar

Oh man it is could outside. I hope everyone makes a steaming cup of chai tea with their homemade almond milk to keep warm. I made two today!

I've been doing some research on what I want to do with my leftover almond pulp from my homemade almond milk. The options are endless. Do I want to make a vegan nut loaf or maybe a raw nut pate? While I was scrutinizing my many choices, I munched on my favorite Larabar and the light bulb lit up. Here I was complaining over how much I spend on almond milk when I'm spending far too much on these delicious packaged portable treats. I think the decision was made for me, I'm going to try my hand at a raw bar. And being my passion for all things chai spiced, the vote was unanimous, a homemade apple chai spiced larabar was the ballet winner.


Raw Apple Chai Spice Bar

2 apples - very thinly sliced
1 c almond pulp
2 tsp chai seeds - soaked in 4 tsp of water
1/2 c dates
1 scoop Vanilla Chai vegan protein powder
2 tsp pure maple syrup

Heat the oven as low as it can go. Place the sliced apples on a sheet pan and put into the oven with the door propped open with an inflammable object to assure the temperature does not get too high. "Bake" for 2 hours.

While the apples are baking, soak the chai seeds in a small shallow bowl. Meanwhile, place the dates into a food processor along with protein powder and combine.

Once the chai seeds have gelatinized - an hour or so -, add them to the food processor along with the dates and protein powder and combine.

Next, place the mixture into a bowl and stir in the almond pulp and maple syrup.

After the apples have "baked" chop them in food processor until they are the consistency of a thick chunky apple sauce/paste. It shouldn't be very wet due to the apples being dehydrated by the "baking". Add the apples to the mixture and combine well.


Place a third of a cup of the mixture into individual pieces of saran wrap or, as I did, in individual baggies (I was out of wrap) and form into 1/4'' thick bars. Place them in the fridge overnight to allow to come together . Store them in the fridge so they keep well.

 Here is a picture of the real thing.


And here is my delicious (money-saving) clone.


Not exactly the same, but none-the-less just as tasty, healthy, and portable. A satisfying treat on the go, or delicious treat with a chai tea latte. No matter how you enjoy it, this recipe is definitely one to add to the books. Now, what to do with my other cup or so of leftover almond pulp? Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything you would like to see veganized or raw-ified?

2 comments:

  1. THAT SOUNDS GREAT AND I AM GOING TO TRY MY HAND AT IT THIS WEEKEND. LOOKING FORWARD TO OTHER RECIPES. FYI - I WENT TOTATLLY RAW VEGAN TODAY. AND FEELING TERRIFIC. PLUS LOST A FEW POUNDS. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the weight loss and the totally raw for a day! That rocks! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete